Each course at W&L has a folder located on the "L Drive", in L:CourseFolders<CourseNumber & Section>. There are several sub-folders listed under each course, including Shared, Handouts, and Turnin. If a professor requires students to submit academic work to the turnin folder, there are several issues that student must know:
- A student cannot use the "Save As" feature of Microsoft Office applications to save documents directly to the L Drive turnin folder. A student must first save the document elsewhere (H: drive or My Documents), and then COPY the document to the "turnin" folder. You can do so by:
- Dragging the document from one location to the other OR...
- Selecting the document, clicking Edit -> Copy from the File menu, and then selecting Edit-> Paste once in the "turnin" folder OR...
- Highlighting the document, pressing Ctrl-C, then selecting the "turnin" folder and then pressing Ctrl-V
- Once a document is submitted, the student will NOT get notification that the document has been successfully copied. Also, when the "turnin" folder is opened, students CANNOT see the documents in this folder, including the one they submitted.
- If a student tries to copy the document again, they will get an error "". This is confirmation that the document is already submitted to the "turnin" folder.
Typical errors and solutions:
- The file is empty or is 0KB: The document was not copied to the L: drive; it was created using a "save as". Follow the steps above.
- Cannot copy <file>: The file already exists: There is already a file with the same name in the "turnin" folder. Either you were successful and already submitted the file or another student submitted the file with the same name. Try to make your name part of the file name (for example: JohnSmithAssignment1.docx)
- Cannot Copy <file>: The operation completed successfully: In XP SP2, files downloaded from the Internet (including GroupWise WebAccess) get "blocked" so that you cannot copy them to restricted locations. To fix this, right-click-on the file, select Properties and select the General Tab. At the bottom, there is a Security item. Select "unblock". You can now submit the file.