- October 6 Through October 11: Project Horizon, the local domestic violence resource center, will be doing some cleaning and painting throughout the week. It is one of the rare opportunities that they are able to close the shelter and do a “deep clean,” touch up paint, and so on. If you would like to schedule a time to pop in (even if you can only stay an hour or two), please e-mail Kate Corr (PH’s Campus Coordinator) at email@example.com.
- Friday, October 24: Mark your calendars! Project Horizon also needs volunteers for its annual golf tournament fundraiser. We will be able to provide more details on this event soon, including specific times and duties of volunteers.
- Ongoing Throughout October: Project Horizon is in desperate need of a desktop computer for its residents. Currently, residents are unable to access a computer, but if we could provide one, they will be able to build basic computer skills, type up a resume, improve their job marketability, and become confident and independent. Plus, if we can raise enough money, the computer will be stocked with fun educational programs for the victims’ children.
- PH estimates that the computer will cost $600. Every little bit helps so if you are able, please stop by the WLSO bake sale at LSFL on October 3, 17, and 31 to purchase some yummy cookies or a WLSO kookie. While you're there, buy a 50-50 raffle ticket! If you are unable to make it to the LSFL bake sales but still want to purchase something, get in on the raffle, or donate, please e-mail Amanda Cecil at firstname.lastname@example.org or Rachele Reis t email@example.com.
The Facing Project
- This project aims to raise awareness about sexual violence in Lexington and on the W&L, VMI, and SVU campuses. Victims will be sharing their stories, and volunteers are needed to market and publicize the project, write about victims’ stories for compilation in a final book, edit the final book, etc. The project manager is hoping to involve law students, and it would be a great opportunity to work on a meaningful project. Attached to this email is some more information about the project and what positions are available. To find out more and to join, please contact Project Manager and W&L student Noelle Rutland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click here for information for potential volunteers.