The Law School has established this policy (a) to ensure a safe, healthy, and pleasant environment for all members of the Law School community; (b) to clarify the obligations of dog owners who choose to bring their dogs to school; and (c) to strike a reasonable balance between the interests of dog owners and the interests of others.
Dogs acting as service animals are exempted from this policy, but are subject to the University's service animal protocol, set forth at:
Only dogs are permitted in the law building (subject to the provisions below). No other animals are permitted within the law building at any time.
- No student may bring his/her dog into any part of the law school building between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday.
- A dog brought inside the law building must be leashed, attended, and under the control of its owner or some person designated by the owner at all times. A dog brought to the law school, but outside of the law building, must be attended and under the control of its owner or some person designated by the owner at all times. Dogs brought to the law school must be quiet, and they must be socialized to being around people and other dogs.
- A faculty or staff member may have his/her dog in his/her office if written notice is posted that a dog is present. Additionally, a faculty or staff member may leave his/her dog in his/her office unattended for a reasonable period of time if the office door is closed.
- No student may crate his/her dog at the law school at any time.
- Dogs may not be brought into the Main Reading Room at any time.
- Dogs may not be brought into classrooms or any space used for class meetings at any time.
- Dogs may not be brought into the Brief Stop or any of the dining areas contiguous to the Brief Stop at any time.
- Dog owners are responsible for promptly cleaning up after their dogs and for the cost of repairing any damages caused by their dogs.
- Dog owners must make reasonable efforts to keep their dogs away from others who are allergic to dog dander, who may be anxious around dogs, or who otherwise wish to avoid contact with dogs.
- A dog owner's noncompliance with any of these policies may result in his/her dog's exclusion from the Law School building and/or grounds.
Updated October 2013.