Summer School, Summer Internship and Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Summer School

The School of Law does not offer a summer session. However, students may take courses offered in the summer sessions at other accredited law schools to earn up to six credit hours toward their degrees. In order to receive credit for courses taken in the summer sessions at other law schools, a student must obtain advance approval from the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs of the School of Law and submit to the Law Records Office, no later than the end of the grading period for the following semester, a transcript evidencing satisfactory completion of the summer work. Satisfactory completion of a summer school course means fulfillment of the course requirements established by the law school where the course is taken, with a grade equivalent to C or higher.

The following requirements and procedures apply:

  • The summer school program must be ABA-accredited. No more than six credits earned through such a program may be applied toward your W&L degree.  For a list of ABA accredited study abroad programs, go to
  • Both your participation in the program and the specific courses you intend to take must be approved in writing by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in advance. Failure to obtain advance permission may result in denial of credit.
  • The summer program must be one that gives grades. You will receive W&L credit for each course you successfully complete with a grade equivalent at least to our "C".
  • In order to receive credit, you must furnish the Director of Law Records with an official transcript from the summer program no later than the end of the grading period for the semester following the summer school program.
  • We will record successfully completed summer school courses on your transcript, but transfer credit or "TR"  credit will be indicated in place of a grade; your W&L grade point average will not reflect grades earned in summer school programs. 

Non-Graded Academic Credit for Students Working in a Country Other Than Their Home Country

  • Students working in a summer internship (paid or unpaid): Students who work in a summer internship in a country other than their home country may request to enroll in Law 612, Reflections on Experience in Legal Practice. Students who enroll in this course will receive one ungraded credit upon successful completion of a required scholarly paper (minimum 4,000 words) on a topic that relates to their work experience in a country other than their home country. The topic must relate to a legal issue encountered during the summer internship. The paper will be due no later than October 15 and must be original work completed for the purpose of this course; it cannot be work product that was submitted to the employer.

  • International (F-1 Visa) Students: In order for a US summer internship to qualify for Curricular Practical Training, international students must arrange for academic credit. The student must enroll in Law 612. The scholarly paper topic may not duplicate research or writing conducted in the course of the summer internship, but must generally relate to its subject matter. The application process for F-1 Visa holders will be sent to those students directly by the Center for International Education

Students who meet the eligibility criteria and wish to enroll in this course for credit should contact the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Students may earn a maximum of two credits for Law 612 over the course of their academic career. There is no additional tuition charged related to this academic credit.