Your First Year
We are available to work with you individually, the way an executive search consultant does, to further your unique professional agenda. We begin with a personal meeting in the fall semester, and continue to work with you throughout your three years at W&L Law.
Points to remember as you get started:
- No matter what your career goal, a wide variety of 1L summer experiences will start you on your way professionally and advance your application in future cycles of recruiting.
- A summer experience can be successful if it provides you with information that helps you focus your professional ambitions. This could include a writing sample, an appreciation of the difference between the study of law and the practice of law, the beginnings of a professional network, and hands-on experience.
OCS counselors are your go-to resource whether you need help with drafting a resume or cover letter, an opportunity to talk through career goals, assistance putting together a job search strategy, or another type of support.
We're At Your Service!
- An appointment is easy to set up by email - or drop by the office, email a quick question or chat with us during our weekly coffee
- The Resource Library of our career management system, SCORE, houses an array of tools. We suggest you browse through the Library, using this Primer as a guide.
- OCS sponsors panel discussions and programs designed to acquaint you with legal specialties and practice settings and to provide opportunities to make professional connections. Join us!
Many 1Ls pursue opportunities in the public sector for the summer. Students who have incurred expenses during initial and call-back interviews with public sector employers may apply for reimbursement.
- Applications for reimbursement of public sector job search expenses incurred during fall term are due by January 15 and expenses incurred during spring term are due by May 15.
- Visit the SCORE Resources Library for the required form; direct any questions to Jane McDonald.